Hello all! So I've been home from the hospital since Monday December 27th, and things have been getting progressively better. Some days are worse than others, but all in all MUCH better than being in the hospital. I received a Nulasta shot on Monday before I left, and what it attempts to do is jump start my bone marrow to produce more cells in order to replace the ones that I'm losing due to the chemo. When we went to the doctor on Wednesday the 29th to check my blood counts, we were told that I am neutrapenic (meaning that the neutrafil in my white blood cells are WAY lower than they should be normally). Essentially this means that I am more susceptible to infection, so I've been staying in since Wednesday in order to avoid large crowds and/or sick people. I have had some visitors though, so that's been nice. My best friends in the whole world, Shelby and the Hannahs, came to visit for New Years Eve. They stayed the night, I showed them around Plano a bit (I know, I went out! Wow. God forbid haha.), and then they went home New Years Day. It was all in all a very successful new year! However, the past couple of days my bones have been aching quite badly from the Nulasta shot. Apparently, growing cells really fast in your bone marrow is painful, which I remember from the last time I went through treatment. It just wasn't quite as bad last time, but I'm feeling quite a bit better today and am walking and moving around a bit more.
Next doctor's appointment is this coming Wednesday, and we'll see where my blood counts are then. If they are where they should be (on the rise), then we are looking to start chemo again on the 11th. If my counts are better, then Plano friends... prepare yourselves... I'll want to leave this house and go places! I'll update after the appointment :)
Thanks for reading,
Brenna
Glad to know you're making positive progress. I wish you a speedy recovery so you can actually start enjoying 2011!
ReplyDelete~Mikey
"Apparently, growing cells really fast in your bone marrow is painful"
ReplyDeleteThis just reminded me of Skele-Gro in Harry Potter 2 :)
Wishing you a fast and effective recovery :)
<3 Marika